I got a new TV. I originally ordered it from Fry’s on March 7th 2008 (read more about that one in another post). This post will concentrate on pictures and what I like/hate about the PZ77 series.
My beautiful new 50” 1080p PlasmaPros:
- Aspect mode with no overscan - very useful for displaying my Macbook Pro with a DVI-HDMI cable
- Amazing black levels. When the lights are off I can barely tell the difference between when it is on and off if the TV is displaying a black screen (like when I turn the cable box off before I turn the TV off)
- Ability to switch aspect ratios to stretch 4:3 to widescreen, squeeze widescreen to 4:3, and zoom letterbox content over component or HDMI.
- Access to the service menu
- Being paranoid about burn-in and image retention in the first 100 hours of use.
- No 1080p over component, only over HDMI (sucks for people with older xbox 360, like me)
Another thread about the PZ77 that is less technical
How to Access the Service Menu:
- Hold down the [VOL -] button ON THE PLASMA.
- Press the [RECALL] button on the remote control 3 times.
- The Service Menu will be displayed.